My appointment with SIRM

Got back from my appointment a little before lunchtime. I’ve been a little confused about how I’m feeling because my appointment went very well.

Dr. Corley listened to my story, my theories, my concerns, etc etc. It was so nice to have a medical professional actually listen to MY history and come up with appropriate diagnostics to figure out what is going on.  He told me that “one chemical pregnancy was normal and common, 4 is not.” He said I was way ahead of the ballgame with getting my own testing done and to send him the results right away. He said he “wouldn’t be surprised” if I had elevated Natural Killer cells given my history and they had no problem treating it with Intralipids – an alternative to IVIG therapy that is about 1/10 of the cost, just as effective, and with less side effects.

So basically we are waiting for the results from my immunology panel from Millenova, my husband’s karyotyping, and the rest of my bloodwork back from my other RE. Once we get all that we can devise a course of treatment, but he said as long as we had the test results back we could potentially start trying again next cycle.

Most likely we would do injectible gonadotropins (instead of Clomid or Femara which he doesn’t recommend for someone with lining issues like me.) There is a possibility I would need Lovenox or Heparin, again depending on the results from some of the tests. And I would need one dose of Intralipid before ovulation and another one after I got pregnant if its a Natural Killer cell issue. If it goes further and its because my husband and I are too genetically similar (as we would find out in the DQ-Alpha test) then I would need to continue the Intralipid therapy through the 20th week of pregnancy.  If it turns out that the immunology panel doesn’t bring up anything, then I would just do the injectibles or we could consider doing IVF, but I’m not really sure we are ready for that yet.

So…there we go. We have a plan, we just need to find out what all the lab work says and we should get everything back by the end of next week.  It’s weird, I think I should be feeling relieved or happy or something, but I’m just terrified. I guess of trying next cycle? I’m not sure exactly. I want something to show up on this panel so badly…so we can treat it. I’m afraid it will say nothing is wrong and I will just be told “try again, good luck.”  Anyway…..we are still waiting for these results to come back. Hopefully by the end of next week we’ll have a solid plan of action.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “My appointment with SIRM

  1. Kerri Nel says:

    Hi, I was just browsing and came across your blog. I was wondering what your results were for your testing. I have had 1 miscarriage at 7 weeks, and 6 chemical pregnancies (5 of them were back-to-back). I did autoimmune tests, thrombophilias, karyotype for me and the hubby, HSG, Laparoscopy, and Hysteroscopy and it all came back normal.

    For me personally, although my results came back normal the doctors still want me to take heparin, baby asprin, progesterone, and did gonal-f. I also decided to do Intralipids.

    I am just curious if your tests came back normal, what was your next step?

    • rowanthefrog says:

      Hi Kerri,

      I’m so sorry to hear all you have being going through. I detailed all my test results here. Basically, other than a few borderline APA results (which my doc said didn’t mean anything), everything came back normal, except for one thing….my uterine lining. My uterine lining, pre-ovulation, was VERY VERY thin. A healthy uterine lining at ovulation should be 8-15mm. Mine measured as low as 1.5mm and I had a documented CP when it was 8mm. If you are doing an IVF cycle, they won’t transfer embryos if your lining is less than 8mm.

      With a thin lining, its quite possible that the pregnancy wouldn’t “stick” because there wasn’t anything for it to stick onto. So that was my only red flag. Did it cause my m/c?? I don’t know for sure, but I imagine that it contributed to it. My lining was the thinnest after my back to back m/c as well.

      It sounds like your docs are taking the “we don’t know what’s wrong so we’re going to try everything we can” strategy…which isn’t necessarily a bad approach. I hope it works for you.

      The protocol that ultimately worked for me is detailed here. I’m happy to answer any questions you have. It sounds like your docs are taking you seriously, even if they can’t find an answer. Keep me posted on your progress.

      A

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s